How to Use a Vape Pen
Pocket-sized, discreet, and easy to use, vape pens are all the rage in weed consumption.
Once used primarily for nicotine vaping, these versatile devices are a simple and portable way to enjoy cannabis flower, distillates, oil, and vape juice.
Vaping offers a healthier alternative to smoking weed since there is little-to-no combustion involved; combustion is the primary cause of carcinogen release in traditional weed consumption. (It’s important to note different vapes produce varying amounts of benzopyrene, the primary carcinogen released when burning organic materials. The amount released is dependent on the design of the cape and the vaporization process.)
Instead, vape pens transform liquids, concentrates, or flower, into vapor via a vape tank or cartridge, giving you more control over the strength of your dose on the inhale.
If you’re new to vaping, you’ll need some basic pointers to get started. Read on for our ultimate guide on how to use a vape pen.
What is a Vape Pen?
A vape pen, sometimes called a hash oil pen, is a portable pen-shaped device that heats cannabis concentrates in a small internal chamber or cartridge to a temperature at which the active compounds transform into vapor without combustion.
Smaller than tabletop and portable vaporizers, vape pens are either rechargeable or disposable.
A rechargeable vape pen has a chargeable battery and can be fitted with various interchangeable chambers and atomizers.
A disposable vape pen has a one-and-done design with an internal battery, prefilled cartridge, and coil atomizer and is meant to be disposed of once depleted.
Both rechargeable and disposable pens come in two main types: push-button and draw-activated. Push-button vape pens must be turned on via the power button, which also controls the heat setting.
Draw-activated vape pens are turned on by merely puffing on them, making them the simplest to use but with less control over options like temperature than push-button devices.
How Do Vape Pens Work?
To understand how to use a vape pen, it’s helpful to know the basics of how a vape pen works.
Both disposable and rechargeable vape pens are made up of the same essential parts:
1. Mouthpiece: As the name implies, this is where you draw the vapor. The mouthpiece attaches to the top of the pen above the heating chamber.
2. The heating chamber or cartridge and atomizer: This is where concentrates like cannabis oil or wax are loaded and heated by a battery-powered element until they produce vapor.
3. Battery: Attached to the cartridge and atomizer, the battery is the longest part of the pen and is the power source for heating the cartridge.
4. Charger: Rechargeable models include a USB charger and cable to juice up the vape pen battery.
A vape pen works by heating the substance in the chamber or cartridge via the battery-powered coil to just below the point of combustion (356° to 374°F) to activate the cannabis compound’s vapor form. This vapor is inhaled through the mouthpiece.
How To Vape Weed: A Step-by-Step Guide
Can you vape weed? Yes! Vaping weed is both a healthier and more discreet alternative than smoking. Instead of smoke, vape pens produce a virtually odorless vapor free of tar and many carcinogens.
Here’s a step-by-step guide covering how to use a vape pen for weed:
1. Check the battery. Make sure that the battery is charged on a rechargeable pen before assembly.
2. Assemble the pen. Disposable pens are preloaded and ready to go. If you are using a rechargeable pen, assemble the correct order pieces, including the heating chamber. You can load the chamber yourself with the concentrate of your choice or opt for a pre-filled oil cartridge.
Once you’ve assembled the pen, wait a few moments for the oil to penetrate the heating coil.
1. Turn on the pen. Disposable vape pens are usually draw-activated, so simply inhale from the mouthpiece to turn on. A push-button vape pen must be turned on by clicking the power button five times in a row and waiting for the light to turn on, indicating that the pen is ready.
Inhale from the mouthpiece while pressing and holding the power button down.
2. Adjust the heat. Many rechargeable pens allow you to adjust the heat by pushing the power button three times.
3. Turn the power off. When you are finished, push the power button five times to turn the power off of rechargeable pens. Disposable pens can simply be discarded when depleted.
Vape Pens vs. Dab Pens
Standard vape pens work with cartridges designed for cannabis oil or distillate. In contrast, dab pens—also known as wax pens—are compatible with many forms of concentrate in dab form, including wax, batter/badder, budder, and shatter.
Dab pens are generally composed of the same essential parts as a vape pen and work the same way. Still, the heating chamber can be loaded with solid dabs, and the design allows for more airflow and higher temperatures required for vaporizing dabs (concentrated wax).
Read on to learn more about how to hit a dab pen.
How to Use a Dab Pen
If you’ve ever used a vape pen, you’ll find these instructions on how to use a wax pen or dab pen familiar.
1. Check the battery and recharge if needed. For information on how to charge a dab pen for your specific device, check the instruction manual.
2. Assemble the pen. Load a small amount of wax with a dab tool into the heating chamber without overloading it, or you can cause clogging or leaking. Ensure room for oxygen to flow.
3. Prime the coil. Gently pulse the fire button to begin melting the wax.
4. Inhale. Hold the button down, starting with small puffs.
5. Adjust the heat. Pulse the button while inhaling rather than holding it down if the chamber is getting too hot.
We hope our overview of how to use a vape pen answered all your questions about this conveniently compact and odor-free device.
Use Amuse for Your Weed Needs
Contact Amuse to check availability for vape pen concentrates, distillates, or dab delivery in your area! From Los Angeles weed delivery to San Francisco cannabis delivery, we can handle all of your marijuana delivery needs in California.